[Crm-sig] Issue 429 Homework 'has aptitude in'

Matthew Stiff matthew at matthewstiff.com
Thu Jan 27 21:31:44 EET 2022

Apologies - I've been hybernating for a long time so have come in on this issue without prior knowledge but one-time CRM editing experience (so "hi" to old friends).

I think there is ambiguity in the names and scope notes here when it comes to aptitude and ability. Aptitude suggests the ability to acquire particular knowledge or skills (ability to have an ability). It doesn't mean that the individual actually has them. For example, I have the aptitude to read tomorrow's Guardian but I haven't done so yet (we could argue that I also have the ability, but until I see the words....😁).

I can see how ability can be measured but not aptitude, other than by evidence of ability in something similar (e.g. Aptitude for learning Portuguese through current ability in Spanish).

I think these properties are describing skills or abilities that have already been acquired. They make sense if the word "aptitude" is replaced with "ability".

Hope this is helpful. Please ignore if not.

Best wishes,

Matthew
Dr Matthew Stiff MSc DPhil DPsych CPsychol
Counselling Psychologist
Matthew Stiff Counselling Psychology

(m) 07939 151510