[Crm-sig] a (very minor) note

Franco Niccolucci franco.niccolucci at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 19:06:44 EET 2022

With other colleagues, I am translating into Italian the CIDOC CRM documentation. This forced me to (or if you prefer, it gave me the opportunity of) reading it with great attention to minute details.

On page 10 of the Introduction I found a couple of things that may need to be changed: both are in the bottom of the page describing the CRM Intended Scope, where some expressions used in such description are explained in greater detail.

1) In the first bullet point, the term “scientific and scholarly documentation” is explained as compliant to the quality level “expected and required by museum professionals and researchers in the field.” What about archaeologists, architectural historians etc.? I would replace this statement with “expected and required by heritage professionals and researchers in the field.”, which would also expand the “field” beyond museology as implied by the other formulation, which is also contradictory with the much wider ambit listed in the second bullet.

2) In the second bullet point the meaning of the term “available documented and material evidence” is explained. Actually, a different expression was used in the previous text, being clarified here; “available documented and empirical evidence”. When defining a term, I think it is preferable to avoid using different albeit equivalent expressions. Moreover, the equivalence of “empirical” and “material” is debatable: according to my Oxford dictionary

empirical = based on, concerned with, or verifiable by observation or experience rather than theory or pure logic
material = denoting or consisting of physical objects rather than the mind or spirit

I may agree with “empirical” but I am not sure I would agree with “material”.

As you can see, this is a fussy comment. But the devil is in the details... and in this case a naughty commenter (not my case) might think that both are Freudian slips :)

Franco

Prof. Franco Niccolucci
Director, VAST-LAB
PIN - U. of Florence
Scientific Coordinator ARIADNEplus
Technology Director 4CH

Editor-in-Chief
ACM Journal of Computing and Cultural Heritage (JOCCH)

Piazza Ciardi 25
59100 Prato, Italy