[Crm-sig] Modelling an Event's General Outcome Ideas? Properties?

Francesco Beretta francesco.beretta at cnrs.fr
Thu Jan 6 14:47:29 EET 2022

Dear George, Martin,

Let's take an exemple: there is a negotiation that results in a sale,
i.e. a change of ownership of some physical object.

The negotiation belongs to the physical, human space: it is an event of
type negotiation. It can result, or not, in a speech act changing the
ownership of the physical object. The new ownership starting then is the
outcome of the negotiation event and it belongs to the social space
(CRMsoc). The speech act is inbetween, it is a social event (change in
connotation of a physical object in the representations of humans) but
has as setting a physical human event. The speech act, as social event,
could have the type 'change of ownership'. And the result is, as said, a
new social situation, a new property situation of the physical object.

It seems therefore reasonable, as George proposes since the beginning,
to add to the event a 'has outcome' property (or a similar one) as a
shortcut linking to the type of the event that is the outcome of, or
results from the first, trigger' event, a speech act in the case of an
object's sale but it could be —in the physical, human world— a birth, in
the case of a 'one-night stand', or a death in the case of an attempted
assassination.

I am therefore in favour of introducing a property of this type, which
we have been using for years, in a similar form, in the symogih.org
project because often in history we know the 'trigger' event but only
the type of the outcome.

Best wishes

Francesco