[Crm-sig] About ... entity of Type?

George Bruseker george.bruseker at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 14:10:21 EET 2022

Dear Martin,

I'm glad to hear you have encountered such cases as well and find it a
potentially good path to explore. I find myself in a conundrum thinking
about (my own) proposal because of the vagueness of the word 'entity'.

What I find typical in many modelling exercises regarding bibliography is
that aboutness can be about the following real world, particular things:

subject - E55
geographic location / place - E53
person / corporation - E39

So already there is typically some breakdown of aboutness into different
main kinds of real, particular things that a work can be about.

When I reflect on the property 'represents entity of type', the examples
are all of endurants. This may be an accident but it makes me wonder about
whether a new specialization of aboutness to refer to 'things of type'
would best follow this general pattern (the entity could be a perdurant,
endurant, place etc.) or if the property would better be more specialized.
(is about temporal event of type, is about persistent item of type, is
about place of type).

It just occurs to me that in the context of retrieval if the property were
not more specific to perdurants / endurants etc. then it could be quite
difficult to sort out if you want to find works about events of type vs
works about things of type vs works about places of type etc. This is not a
problem when the aboutness property is about a particular because we can
use the class to differentiate. 'Given me E73 about E39'  automatically
culls the data down to the aboutness regarding actors. If the new property
pointed to E55, then we would not have this facility.

So... hopefully still a good idea but seems to have some complications to
be thought through.

Best,

George