[Crm-sig] New Issue: RDFS Implementation and related issues

Thomas Francart thomas.francart at sparna.fr
Wed Sep 29 23:13:54 EEST 2021

Hello

Thanks for the summary. A few words about SHACL :

In OpenArchaeo project [1] we did use SHACL to encode a combination of
CIDOC-CRM + CRMarchaeo + SKOS; the SHACL encoding is available in Turtle
[2] generated from an Excel file [3] converted using SKOS Play Excel-2-RDF
converter [4]. The SHACL encodes the model depicted at
http://openarchaeo.huma-num.fr/images/modeleOpenArchaeoEn.png.
The SHACL is leveraged through SHACL Play [5] to validate data produced
when converting the data of each database in the OpenArchaeo federation.

While a complete SHACL encoding of the CRM could be useful, I see the role
of SHACL rather in the specification of precise data patterns to be
exchanged in precise use-cases or systems (as in OpenArchaeo). One
advantage of SHACL encoding against OWL is the ability to "deactivate" a
shape, allowing to release a constraint in certain use-cases, making it
more reusable (but also possibly less interoperable). Another advantage
could be the ability to express constraints that go beyond what OWL can do,
but I don't think the CRM will need this.

Note that SHACL Play mentionned above contains OWL to SHACL conversion
rules, if you want to try out.

Hope this helps
Thomas

[1] OpenArchaeo : http://openarchaeo.huma-num.fr/explorateur/home?lang=en
[2] : SHACL in Turtle :
http://openarchaeo.huma-num.fr/federation/resources/shapes/OpenArchaeo-Shapes.ttl
[3] :SHACL in Excel :
http://openarchaeo.huma-num.fr/federation/resources/shapes/OpenArchaeo-Shapes.xlsx
[4] : SKOS Play converter : https://skos-play.sparna.fr/play/convert
[5] : SHACL Play : https://shacl-play.sparna.fr/play/

Le mer. 29 sept. 2021 à 14:51, Pavlos Fafalios via Crm-sig <
crm-sig at ics.forth.gr> a écrit :

> Dear all,
>
> I think there is no open issue on this (please let me know if this is not
> true), so I suggest opening a new issue in order to finalize the discussion
> on the RDFS implementation.
>
> Based on the discussion on the other email thread (title: "RDFS, XML and
> more"), I created the below google doc (homework) where the different
> issues are summarised. Also, *there are suggestions on how to proceed*.
>

> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oq02aS8xENzGBJAdxlSJzX_n9CE43_Aycl8NttReqis/edit?usp=sharing
>
> There will probably be a slot on this at the forthcoming SIG meeting, so
> that we can make some final decisions.
> So, please kindly check the doc before the next SIG meeting and feel free
> to comment (especially in case I forgot something, or something seems not
> to be the case), or directly reply to this email.
>
> Thank you all for the contributions!
>
> Best regards,
> Pavlos
>
> --
> Dr. Pavlos Fafalios
> Postdoctoral research fellow
> Project ReKnow <https://reknow.ics.forth.gr/> (MSCA Individual Fellowship
> )
>
> Centre for Cultural Informatics / Information Systems Laboratory
> Institute of Computer Science (ICS)
> Foundation for Research and Technology (FORTH)
>    and
> Visiting Lecturer
> Department of Management Science & Technology (MST),
> Hellenic Mediterranean University (HMU)
>
> Address: N. Plastira 100, Vassilika Vouton, 70013 Heraklion, Greece
> Email: fafalios at ics.forth.gr
> Tel: +30-2810-391619
> Web: http://users.ics.forth.gr/~fafalios/

*Thomas Francart* -* SPARNA*
Web de *données* | Architecture de l'*information* | Accès aux
*connaissances*
blog : blog.sparna.fr, site : sparna.fr, linkedin :
fr.linkedin.com/in/thomasfrancart
tel :  +33 (0)6.71.11.25.97, skype : francartthomas