[Crm-sig] New Issue: Non-human Actors

Martin Doerr martin at ics.forth.gr
Tue Sep 28 15:34:47 EEST 2021

Dear Robert,

Please excuse my sloppy shorthand! Of course I meant that a machine
capable of causing events in reaction to external stimuli in a
controlled manner is a new class model, AND the reactive events are
another new class which should be related, it didn't come to my mind it
could be one😁

I just expressed my opinion. I have not made any decision. E39 Actor
clearly excludes machines and animals so far. My argument is neither
philosophy about free will, nor an interpretation of the word "agency",
which would be a linguistic argument.

 From a methodological point of view, the only thing  that matters are
the properties we associate with these things in documentation practice.
Practice, and not philosophy, is, e.g., that a machine cannot be sued,
but those setting them up in this manner. This is different from suing
the owner of a tiger.

The first thing to look at, in a bottom-up manner we are committed to,
is to make ontological distinctions, not extending existing concepts
into new domains. There are, to my opinion, much more things that
differentiate Actors and Activities from robots and their reactions
which I have not listed.

Only after we have carefully investigated that there are enough
commonalities between originally distinct concepts, we can decide if
they warrant a common superclass.

Both I have not seen yet.

Would that make sense?

All the best,