[Crm-sig] NEW ISSUE: revise TX5 Reading versus TX6 Transcription

Achille Felicetti achille.felicetti at pin.unifi.it
Sun Sep 12 21:00:03 EEST 2021

Dear Martin,

Your observations are extremely stimulating, as usual, especially with regard to the observation of a linguistic object which is a very complex and articulated operation. In our view, in particular, the following conditions can occur while a linguistic object is observed:

1. I observe some signs on a surface without even realising that it is a text.
2. I understand that it is a text but without understanding its meaning (typically, even without understanding what language or writing system it is).
3. I actually read and understand text.

We agree with your observation that the relationship between these types of observation needs to be better specified. We therefore propose to keep TX5 Reading as the most specific observation (type 3) and to define one or more classes for the other observation cases of which TX5 could become a specific one.

As regards the Transcription, for the epigraphists this type of operation has a rather broad meaning that covers various cases, from the “exact” reproduction of the signs, to their stylised rendering, up to the transliteration using a different script. In the first cases, transcription does not necessarily imply an understanding of the signs (e.g. see publications on texts in unknown alphabets such as the one on the Phaistos Disc).

The other ideas and new classes you propose, relating to the other cases, are very intriguing, we are thinking about them, but they probably need a more articulated discussion.

Regards,
Achille & Francesca