[Crm-sig] Linked Places mapping

Richard Light richardlight399 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 17:51:01 EEST 2021

On 09/09/2021 17:50, Martin Doerr via Crm-sig wrote:
> Dear Francesco, Richard,
>
> I am a bit confused. Even though people wrongly call a gazetteer a
> "place name ontology", it has nothing to do with ontology, because it
> is a collection of particulars. A place is not a class.
>
> I understand that the mapping exercise is a data transformation from
> Pelagios schema, rather than the data about places, to CRM (geo). That
> should be a question of X3ML.

Martin,

Point taken about the ontology. When this suggestion was raised, it
wasn't clearly stated exactly what the group is trying to achieve. My
own understanding is that we want to express the Linked Places RDF
structure as a CRM 'pattern', making it possible to ingest CRM data
containing that pattern into e.g. the World Historical Gazetteer.  So we
map the ontology in order to map/work with instances of data.

As things currently stand, we don't actually have a Linked Places
ontology to start from. I made a start on one shortly before lockdown:

https://github.com/LinkedPasts/linked-pasts-ontology/blob/main/lpo_latest.ttl

but remember very little about it, including how complete it is.

> Is or includes ontome.net a schema mapping tool with data
> tansformation instructions?

Could ontome.net work with this ontology?

To use X3ML, I would have to express this ontology as an XML Schema. The
challenge I see in this, is that while the Linked Places ontology itself
is quite simple, it pulls in concepts from all sorts of other
ontologies, which may or may not be available as Schemas.

Best wishes,

Richard

> All the best,
>
> Martin
>
> On 9/9/2021 5:41 PM, Francesco Beretta via Crm-sig wrote:
>>
>> Dear Richard,
>>
>> Notwithstanding a more authoritative response, we have developed the
>> ontome.net application precisely for coping with this kind of issues
>> – and providing in the end a RDF (XML-OWL) export of the mapping.
>>
>> So, if you're interested, we can exchange on this.
>>
>> Best wishes
>>
>> Francesco
>>
>> Le 09.09.21 à 12:46, Richard Light via Crm-sig a écrit :
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The Linked Pasts gazetteer group (part of Pelagios) yesterday
>>> expressed an interest in mapping their Linked Places ontology to the
>>> CIDOC CRM. What is the current state of the art for doing this sort
>>> of mapping?  The last time I was involved in such an exercise, the
>>> result ended up in a not-very-processible spreadsheet, but I have a
>>> feeling we can do better than that these days.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Richard
>>>
>>> --

> ------------------------------------
>  Dr. Martin Doerr
>
>  Honorary Head of the
>  Center for Cultural Informatics
>
>  Information Systems Laboratory
>  Institute of Computer Science
>  Foundation for Research and Technology - Hellas (FORTH)
>
>  N.Plastira 100, Vassilika Vouton,
>  GR70013 Heraklion,Crete,Greece
>
>  Vox:+30(2810)391625
>  Email: martin at ics.forth.gr