[Crm-sig] Linked Places mapping

Richard Light richardlight399 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 17:00:23 EEST 2021

On 09/09/2021 21:55, Øyvind Eide via Crm-sig wrote:
> For work on gazetteers I would suggest to bring in Humphrey Southall.
>
> https://www.port.ac.uk/about-us/structure-and-governance/our-people/our-staff/humphrey-southall
> <https://www.port.ac.uk/about-us/structure-and-governance/our-people/our-staff/humphrey-southall>
>
> He has been working on them for decades and argued they organise
> information in a way which is useful also in a digital world.

Hi,

I have been working with Humphrey, and in fact re-published their AUO
(administrative units ontology - sorry Martin!) as Linked Data using the
earlier Pelagios PGIF format.  Sadly, that is now out of date since
Pelagios have invented a new (admittedly better) Linked Places
interchange format.  Also the AUO site has now evaporated: the dangers
of trusting a British university computing department to host a set of
persistent identifiers .... I think Humphrey would probably defer to me
when it comes to the gritty details of an RDF implementation.

Best wishes,

Richard

> All the best,
>
> Øyvind
>
>> Am 09.09.2021 um 19:35 schrieb Christian-Emil Smith Ore via Crm-sig
>> <crm-sig at ics.forth.gr <mailto:crm-sig at ics.forth.gr>>:
>>
>> Still the information in a gazetteers and in old land (mediaeval,
>> early modern) registries can be organized compliant with CRM. I
>> assume that is what is meant. This, in my opinion, an interesting
>> task and could help a lot.
>> Best,
>> Christian-Emil

*Richard Light*