[Crm-sig] RDFS, XML and more

Martin Doerr martin at ics.forth.gr
Thu Sep 9 19:43:03 EEST 2021

Dear Francesco,

This is a complex issue, which has been discussed in length in 2018 and
basically was spelled out in the implementation guidelines for RDFS by
Richrad Light and me.

All these questions you pose have been taken into account carefully. The
text may need improvements, but I'd kindly ask all CRM-SIG members
having respective questions to read it carefully and give us feedback.

Let me explain just a bit here from the side of logic, which is tricky
and not the usual reasoning we apply within the CRM:

A superproperty is not equivalent to a subproperty. A superproperty is
only implied by a subproperty.

  Therefore: Once E41 Appellation has no necessary property, an instance
of E41 Appellation without having a property of its own does not violate
the range of the superproperty. Its just a poor case.

(But it is completely true that rdfs:label is without properties. From
the time of RDFS 1.1 on, which recommends the use of xsd values in
literals, there are hidden properties in the label, such as the language
tags.)

This statement does also strictly not hold: "This class is subclass of
Symbolic Object and Legal Object, therefore a E77 Persistent Item and
not a E62 String which is a E59 Primitive Value",

because a) there is no axiom in CRM saying that Persistent Item and E62
String are disjoint.
                 b) There is no declaration in the RDFS implementation
that rdf:Literal equals E62 Sting or
                         E59 Primitive Value.

Obviously, RDFS makes rich use of Literal, packing stuff like WKT
geometric values  into them, which are used in geo-enabled triple stores.

With the superproperty declaration, we say that whowever uses rdfs:label
refers to a name (E41 Appellation). Unfortunately, RDFS does not allow
us smarter things to do, but this gives the right answers to queries.

All the best,

Martin

  Email: martin at ics.forth.gr