[Crm-sig] RDFS, XML and more

Miel Vander Sande miel.vandersande at meemoo.be
Wed Sep 8 11:07:06 EEST 2021

Hi Pavlos,

Op di 7 sep. 2021 om 09:38 schreef Pavlos Fafalios <fafalios at ics.forth.gr>:

> Dear Miel,
>
> Thank you for your comments.
>
> Having a JSON-LD serialization seems useful, given the increasing adoption
> of this encoding format. We can start considering its implementation once
> the RDFS is approved by CRM SIG.

When done right, it can make complex models like CIDOC-CRM look a lot less
scary. I think the goal should not be a complete implementation of
CIDOC-CRM in a single context, but rather lead to an entry-level format
that can be expanded when necessary (json-ld allows you to do this). I'm
working on similar examples for PREMIS OWL.

> About SHACL: do you mean using SHACL for schema validation, or for
> defining constraints/requirements over crm-compliant RDF graphs? I guess
> the latter. This is interesting as well, but it also requires careful
> design and thinking/discussions on what types of constraints to consider
> and define.

same here. I think both are very useful, but the latter can provide an easy
to adopt, entry-level view on CIDOC-CRM. In any case, you cannot capture an
open ontology in a single SHACL schema; they will always be one or more
constraint views aimed at implementation and easy adoption.

In fact, this is what we have done in Belgium with the OSLO programme by
defining a consensus-driven application profile of cidoc-crm. You can find
JSON-LD and SHACL implementations at the bottom of this page:
https://data.vlaanderen.be/doc/applicatieprofiel/cultureel-erfgoed-event/#shacl

Best,

Miel