[Crm-sig] RDFS, XML and more

Robert Sanderson azaroth42 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 16:40:50 EEST 2021

Miel, all,

4 issues below:

(1) There is a 7.1.1 compatible JSON-LD context at:
https://linked.art/ns/v1/linked-art.json
The description for how the JSON keys are derived from the ontology is:
https://linked.art/api/1.0/json-ld/#context-design
Comments welcome and happy to contribute it to the SIG, and make only a
secondary linked art context for the profile specific features!

(2) A second request from me ... it would be great to have owl:inverseOf
between each of the property pairs in the ontology.

e.g.

  <rdf:Property rdf:about="P1i_identifies">    <rdfs:label
xml:lang="en">identifies</rdfs:label>    <rdfs:label
xml:lang="de">bezeichnet</rdfs:label>    <rdfs:label
xml:lang="el">είναι αναγνωριστικό</rdfs:label>    <rdfs:label
xml:lang="fr">identifie</rdfs:label>    <rdfs:label
xml:lang="pt">identifica</rdfs:label>    <rdfs:label
xml:lang="ru">идентифицирует</rdfs:label>    <rdfs:label
xml:lang="zh">标识</rdfs:label>    <rdfs:domain
rdf:resource="E41_Appellation" />    <rdfs:range
rdf:resource="E1_CRM_Entity" />*    <owl:inverseOf
rdf:resource="P1_is_identified_by" />*  </rdf:Property>

And (3) a minor typo:

  <rdfs:Class rdf:about="E41_E33_Linguistic_Appellation">
    <rdfs:label xml:lang="en">Linguistic Appellation</rdfs:label>
    <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="E41_Appellation" />
    <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="E33_Linguistic_Object" />
  </rdfs:Class>

It was agreed that this was going to be E33_E41 to keep the numbers in
order, and to coincidentally correspond to the two parts of the label (E33
-> linguistic, E41-> appellation)
Great if this could be fixed.

And (4) a concern. I don't think that it is good practice to make
assertions about other ontologies' predicates:
Line 1176 asserts:

  <rdf:Property rdf:about="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#label">
    <rdfs:subPropertyOf rdf:resource="P1_is_identified_by" />
  </rdf:Property>

So this means that all of the objects of instances of rdfs:label are, due
to the range of P1_is_identified_by, suddenly instances of E41_Appellation.
A system that does even basic inferencing will produce very different
results, by assigning E41_Appellation as another class for all of the
literals which are the object of rdfs:label.

This doesn't affect me, because while inferencing is a good idea in
practice in some domains with very tightly controlled data and precisely
applied ontologies and vocabularies, I have yet to see any benefit at all
from it in ours.

Might I suggest as a compromise instead having this assertion published,
but in a different rdfs file? That would make it more noticeable to people
who might otherwise have no clue why their system was misbehaving all of a
sudden, and also make it easier for it to be omitted from processing if it
was not useful in practice. Then we're still making the assertion in an
official, public capacity, but we're also giving agency to our users as to
whether they want to use it.

Thanks for your hard work on this!

Rob

Rob Sanderson