[Crm-sig] NEW ISSUE: revise TX5 Reading versus TX6 Transcription

Achille Felicetti achille.felicetti at pin.unifi.it
Fri Oct 1 18:47:50 EEST 2021

Dear Martin,

Please find our comments inline.

> Very generally, in order to observe a sign as a sign, we need a context fitting to some hypotheses what people would put signs on, characteristics suggesting a feature as human made, but most importantly a finite selection of potential patterns. The latter condition is absolutely necessary. The result will be a ranked list of best fitting patterns.

We agree that some characteristics of some signs (e.g. their shape, the physical properties of how they are traced, etc.) can contribute to the process of interpreting them as intentionally produced human products.
In principle, in fact, it is not the specific characteristics of the signs but their properties of occurrence on a surface that discriminate their interpretation as part of a (writing) system or not: for example, the recognition of Linear B or the interpretation of the signs of the Phaistos disc as “scripture” depend on the reciprocal relationships that the elements have among themselves, which therefore lead to the hypothesis of the existence of a system. It is a matter of fact that, within a given system, "tout se tient" as Saussure and Chomsky underline.

> In short, I maintain that recognizing a text can be prior to recognizing single signs.

We fully agree also on this point.

> I believe the definition of the "writing system" needs to differentiate the character set sufficiently from the other constituents of a writing system.
>
> The arrangement of characters into texts are also standardized by a writing system. The arrangement rules of a writing system for signs in a text create also characteristic, recognizable patterns. There are enough archaeological cases, I assume, in which a text can be recognized as such without any readable character on it.
>
> Hence, there are in addition observable arrangement features of a writing system.
>
> Note that all results of observation in an encoded propositional form require that the observation itself applies hypotheses about the forms the feature to be observed can appear in.

We don't entirely agree on the existence of a set of predefined possibilities; rather, we would say that there is a number of concomitant phenomena that makes interpretation of the world possible, in this case, the activity of “writing". It is possible to create infinite writing systems with infinite varieties in the signs that compose it, because, indeed, what is important is that the internal coherence of the system is preserved.

For this reason it is not possible to create predefined lists of rules valid for all writing systems, except than for giving a more general definition of a system as a functional unit consisting of several parts (in this case signs) in functional relationship between each other. But it is not possible to list a priori which and how many functional relationships a given system will have. Roy Harris's "La sémiologie de l’écriture" is very enlightening in this regard.

If by "arrangement of characters into texts" you mean things like, for instance, the “ductus”, i.e., the direction of the writing of the text (from right to left, from left to right, etc.), this is actually not a "rule" of the writing system as well, but just the application of a possible model to a text. It is true that a writing system can have a preferred ductus and that this can eventually lead to the standardisation of a certain use, but this does not concern the system itself: if I write in English from left to right (or in a specular form, as Leonardo da Vinci used to do for Italian), the internal rules of the system (differentiation of signs, combination of letters etc.) remain unchanged. The reader is simply less used to a different use. In fact, some writing systems do not have a preferential ductus (see for instance Archaic Greek). Thus, a certain set of observable disposition characteristics occur IN the text, not in the writing system. This is a subtle but necessary semiological difference.

> A variant of the latter occurs when reading a sloppy hand-written text, e.g., when I read my grandpa's notebook. The character set can only be either Latin or Sütterlin. I can distinguish the latter by recognizing a few very characteristic signs in the overall text. Then, I need to identify more and more words in the text until I am trained to more and more of Grandpa's own variants of the Sütterlin character set. This depends on the size of the sample. Only then I can go back and recognize within the continuous lines single signs.

As for the Sütterlin, again this phenomena does not refer to the system but just to the shape of the signs, the way they are linked together etc., and therefore it concerns their “style", not the internal differentiability of the signs themselves. Within the Latin script ecosystem, the Sütterlin has exactly the same stylistic significance of the Caroline minuscule.

In summary: the possible styles that can be manifested in writing are infinite, as long as the signs maintain a degree of internal recognition (i.e., the “differential" value remains unchanged) and remain recognisable by the reader. See the letter “T” example in the attached image from Saussure’s “Course” (CLG, section 165) for more details.

We hope this helps :-)

Regards,
Francesca & Achille