[Crm-sig] Issue 554 Examples for E4 Period

Martin Doerr martin at ics.forth.gr
Fri Oct 8 20:24:46 EEST 2021

Dear All,

Please let me add some clarifications.

All valid aspects that you mention😁

.. but with the Russian example I wanted to describe an administrative
unit, not to explain the term "capital of Russia", nor who maintains it.
I follow Oeyvind's arguments about the complexity of involved actors.
So, let's not make it too complicated. If a better term than "capital"
needs to be or can be found, the better.

The point with the Helsinki example is that settlement and
administrative unit are completely different in substance.

When the Russian capital moved, the settling activity did not abandon
Moscow and later St. Petersburg. The cities did not change names. Only
the administrators/governmental bodies will have moved, and associated
businesses and nobles. When the Helsinki settlers moved, they may not
have formed an administrative unit, or may be the administrative unit
was larger, or administrative units stayed in place, or moved with the
settlers, but the settlement activity abandoned the old place and
populated the new area, as I understand, carrying with it its local
name.  May be someone can add the details?

Therefore, I try to show that settling and administrative units should
be  distinguished, regardless whether in former times administrative
units may have imposed limits on settling activities.

Kiruna is nice and exactly up to the point, but ongoing, if I understand
correctly?

Wrt to Japan, I tried to find the official title of the current country
as political unit. Can anybody help, our Japanese colleagues?
"Country" may be better?

  Email: martin at ics.forth.gr