[Crm-sig] NEW ISSUE: revise TX5 Reading versus TX6 Transcription

Martin Doerr martin at ics.forth.gr
Sat Oct 2 13:27:28 EEST 2021

Dear Francesca, Achille,

I'd like to add: As far as I have read recently, there exist very few
occasions in the world of independent development of a writing system.
For the things we study currently, to find another such center is very
unlikely (nevertheless possible), and reading would not be possible
immediately. All other writing systems are either adaptations and
modifications of systems from cultures in contact, or reinventions under
the impression of writing systems that have come to their knowledge.
This reduces actually the variants of principles we expect in practice,
beyond what is theoretically possible. Isn't it?

By the way, interesting is which kinds of inferences would allow for
determining the reading direction of the Phaistos Disc?

All the best,

Martin

  Email: martin at ics.forth.gr