[Crm-sig] URIs management (Issue 460)

Pavlos Fafalios fafalios at ics.forth.gr
Thu Nov 25 17:03:10 EET 2021

Dear all,

We are happy to announce that we have implemented the decisions
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pU_WJcCU5R-Fz_NTU1VcjhocLG--rsb04xW9dqrCjC4/edit#heading=h.m3tqr2l2lcgh>
of the last SIG meeting related to the management of URIs.

Some more details:

*(A) BASE URI (NAMESPACE) FOR CLASSES AND PROPERTIES*
The base URI for all classes and properties is:

  http://www.cidoc-crm.org/cidoc-crm/

Versioning information is provided through the property 'owl:versionInfo',
in particular:

http://www.cidoc-crm.org/cidoc-crm/ owl:versionInfo "RDFs Implementation
(November 2021) of CIDOC-CRM 7.1.1"

*(B) ONTOLOGY URIS*
The ontology URI
http://www.cidoc-crm.org/cidoc-crm/
will always resolve (as decided) to the last *published (community) version*
of CIDOC-CRM, currently 7.1.1.

Older ontology versions will be available through versioned URIs, e.g.,:
http://cidoc-crm.org/cidoc-crm/6.2.9/
for CIDOC-CRM version 6.2.9.

*(C) SERVING HTML OR RDF (BASED ON HTTP REQUEST TYPE)*
When the HTTP request type is rdf+xml, we provide the complete star view
(as decided), i.e. direct statements where the class or property URI occurs
as the subject or the object.
For example, if we resolve the below URI
    http://cidoc-crm.org/cidoc-crm/7.1.1/P1_is_identified_by
We get the below set of RDF triples:

*s* *p* *o*
http://www.cidoc-crm.org/cidoc-crm/P1_is_identified_by
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#label αναγνωρίζεται ως@el
http://www.cidoc-crm.org/cidoc-crm/P1_is_identified_by
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#comment This property describes the
naming or identification of any real-world item by a name or any other
identifier. This property is intended for identifiers in general use, which
form part of the world the model intends to describe, and not merely for
internal database identifiers which are specific to a technical system,
unless these latter also have a more general use outside the technical
context. This property includes in particular identification by
mathematical expressions such as coordinate systems used for the
identification of instances of E53 Place. The property does not reveal
anything about when, where and by whom this identifier was used. A more
detailed representation can be made using the fully developed (i.e.,
indirect) path through E15 Identifier Assignment. This property is a
shortcut for the path from E1 CRM Entity through P140i was attributed by,
E15 Identifier Assignment, P37 assigned to E42 Identifier. It is also a
shortcut for the path from E1 CRM Entity through P1 is identified by, E41
Appellation, P139 has alternative form to E41 Appellation.
http://www.cidoc-crm.org/cidoc-crm/P1_is_identified_by
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#label est identifiée par at fr
http://www.cidoc-crm.org/cidoc-crm/P1_is_identified_by
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#label 被标识为@zh
http://www.cidoc-crm.org/cidoc-crm/P1_is_identified_by
http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#inverseOf
http://www.cidoc-crm.org/cidoc-crm/P1i_identifies
http://www.cidoc-crm.org/cidoc-crm/P1_is_identified_by
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#label is identified by at en
http://www.cidoc-crm.org/cidoc-crm/P1_is_identified_by
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#label идентифицируется посредством@ru
http://www.cidoc-crm.org/cidoc-crm/P1_is_identified_by
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#domain
http://www.cidoc-crm.org/cidoc-crm/E1_CRM_Entity
http://www.cidoc-crm.org/cidoc-crm/P1_is_identified_by
http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#type
http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#Property
http://www.cidoc-crm.org/cidoc-crm/P1_is_identified_by
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#range
http://www.cidoc-crm.org/cidoc-crm/E41_Appellation
http://www.cidoc-crm.org/cidoc-crm/P1_is_identified_by
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#label é identificado por at pt
http://www.cidoc-crm.org/cidoc-crm/P1_is_identified_by
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#label wird bezeichnet als at de
http://www.cidoc-crm.org/cidoc-crm/P102_has_title
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#subPropertyOf
http://www.cidoc-crm.org/cidoc-crm/P48_has_preferred_identifier
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#subPropertyOf
http://www.cidoc-crm.org/cidoc-crm/P1_is_identified_by

You can easily try it in the below service (SPARQL-LD; extension of SPARQL
1.1 that allows querying URIs):
     https://demos.isl.ics.forth.gr/sparql-ld-endpoint/
By running the query:
    SELECT * WHERE {
       SERVICE <http://cidoc-crm.org/cidoc-crm/7.1.1/P1_is_identified_by> {
    ?s ?p ?o  } }

*(D) RENAMED CLASSES*
If we resolve a class/property which has been renamed, the request is
forwarded to the renamed URI.
For example, if we resolve the URI:
    http://www.cidoc-crm.org/cidoc-crm/E78_Collection
We get the below set of triples:
*s* *p* *o*
http://www.cidoc-crm.org/cidoc-crm/P147i_was_curated_by
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#domain
http://www.cidoc-crm.org/cidoc-crm/E78_Curated_Holding
http://www.cidoc-crm.org/cidoc-crm/E78_Curated_Holding
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#subClassOf
http://www.cidoc-crm.org/cidoc-crm/E24_Physical_Human-Made_Thing
http://www.cidoc-crm.org/cidoc-crm/E78_Curated_Holding
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#comment This class comprises
aggregations of instances of E18 Physical Thing that are assembled and
maintained (“curated” and “preserved,” in museological terminology) by one
or more instances of E39 Actor over time for a specific purpose and
audience, and according to a particular collection development plan.
Typical instances of curated holdings are museum collections, archives,
library holdings and digital libraries. A digital library is regarded as an
instance of E18 Physical Thing because it requires keeping physical
carriers of the electronic content. Items may be added or removed from an
E78 Curated Holding in pursuit of this plan. This class should not be
confused with the E39 Actor maintaining the E78 Curated Holding often
referred to with the name of the E78 Curated Holding (e.g., “The Wallace
Collection decided…”). Collective objects in the general sense, like a tomb
full of gifts, a folder with stamps or a set of chessmen, should be
documented as instances of E19 Physical Object, and not as instances of E78
Curated Holding. This is because they form wholes either because they are
physically bound together or because they are kept together for their
functionality.
http://www.cidoc-crm.org/cidoc-crm/E78_Curated_Holding
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#label Curated Holding at en
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#Class
http://www.cidoc-crm.org/cidoc-crm/P109i_is_current_or_former_curator_of
http://www.cidoc-crm.org/cidoc-crm/P109_has_current_or_former_curator
http://www.cidoc-crm.org/cidoc-crm/P147_curated
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#range
http://www.cidoc-crm.org/cidoc-crm/E78_Curated_Holding

*(E) DEPRECATED CLASSES*
There was no agreement on how to resolve deprecated classes (4 'yes' for
denying access, 4 'yes' for returning data but including information about
the deprecation).
For the moment, we have implemented a solution which we believe satisfies
both options:
If we resolve the URI of a deprecated class/property, we only return one
triple, the below one which just says that the class/property is a
deprecated one (following OWL2
<https://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-syntax/#Annotation_Properties> syntax):
  <deprecated_uri>  http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#deprecated true^^
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#boolean
So, we do not return any other information (like subclassOf/subpropertyOf,
properties, etc.), but provide the information that the class/property is
not for use anymore.
Example: if we resolve the URI:
    http://www.cidoc-crm.org/cidoc-crm/E50_Date
We only get:
*s* *p* *o*
http://www.cidoc-crm.org/cidoc-crm/E50_Date
http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#deprecated true^^
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#boolean

Please let us know if for some reason you are strongly against this
solution.

Again, thank you all for all the feedback and discussions on this issue.
Please let us know if you have any questions/suggestions, or if you spot an
error.

Best regards,
Pavlos and Elias

--
Pavlos Fafalios

Postdoctoral researcher (Marie Curie IF - Project ReKnow
<https://reknow.ics.forth.gr/>)
Centre for Cultural Informatics & Information Systems Laboratory
Institute of Computer Science - FORTH

and

Visiting Lecturer
Department of Management Science & Technology
Hellenic Mediterranean University

Address: N. Plastira 100, Vassilika Vouton, 70013 Heraklion, Greece
Email: fafalios at ics.forth.gr
Tel: +30-2810-391619
Web: http://users.ics.forth.gr/~fafalios/