[Crm-sig] About datatypes and graphs

Martin Doerr martin at ics.forth.gr
Tue May 11 20:03:21 EEST 2021

Dear All,

This is an interesting discussion:

https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/semantic-web/2021May/0052.html

Whereas I agree, for our purposes, with the use of datatypes for
geometries, time etc., as we recommend,

I regard the discussion about Named Graphs as more complex. Curiously,
the arguments against Named Graphs seem to center around RDFS
statements, and not graphs of related particulars, so-called "material
facts".

For our purposes, i.e., for describing provenance of facts and
argumentation about facts, I regard the Named Graph mechanism as a
superior solution, as long as the described facts are indeed possible
states of affairs to be taken into account in the same world in which
the graph content creation is described.

For categorical and counterfactual statements, I think the idea of a
datatype is not bad. It can be regarded as a content model of an
information object, without committing to a believe about it.

All the best,

  Email: martin at ics.forth.gr