[Crm-sig] Issue:530 Bias in the CRM

Nicola Carboni nic.carboni at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 08:58:54 EET 2021

Dear Thanasis, all,

I would be happy to join the discussion. Another useful reading other
than the already cited ones, is ["Cataloguing Culture: Legacies of
Colonialism in Museum
Documentation”](https://www.ubcpress.ca/cataloguing-culture) by Hannah
Turner.

Regarding the name and the scope of the issue: should we focus on data
structure (I see the title of the issue is "bias in data structure") or
specifically on ontologies and CRM?
While I do very much believe that data structure is an enormously
important topic to discuss, it is an extremely large subject, and entail
a larger series of problems which do derive from the informational
foundation, the concept of structure itself, the recorded information,
as well as disciplinary inheritance in the chosen subject matter.

I second rob proposing to focus on the problem of the ontology and the
process of documentation/development. I would add that we should include
some point about CRM as system of thought as well as the problem of
formalisation.

> * Implementations and Instances of the Ontology
>  -- I think these are useful as second-order evidence, but that we
> should not be too involved or prescriptive.

I would include the topic, as to make clear the diversity in
implementation (use of terminological systems as well as the use of the
concept of controlled terminology itself), avoiding indeed the
prescriptive stance.

Best,

Nicola

P.s. Great initiative :-)