[Crm-sig] Issue 511

Robert Sanderson azaroth42 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 16:55:56 EET 2021

On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 5:54 AM Martin Doerr <martin at ics.forth.gr> wrote:

> My argument about measuring non-physical things is that it does not
> constitute an observation process, but an abstraction from observable
> things. We can always use Attribute Assignment for such evaluations. So, we
> can assign the word count to a text, without using E16 Measurement.

Understood, and agreed. The scope note for E16 is clear that is for
measuring "physical properties ... by ... direct observation of particular
states".

A word count would be an Attribute Assignment of the Dimension to the
Linguistic Object, potentially using a particular specific object as a
witness for the symbols. Of course, I can count symbols in my head, but
then I am not observing the symbols physically, and therefore it is not a
Measurement.

If I am not able to be at the SIG session where this is discussed, please
count this as my vote in favor of the resolution of the issue.

Rob

--
Rob Sanderson
Director for Cultural Heritage Metadata