[Crm-sig] Issue 518

Martin Doerr martin at ics.forth.gr
Wed Jun 23 20:13:46 EEST 2021

Dear All,

Following today's discussion and decision, I now reuse this example for
E7 and E4 in the following way:

*This is an example for E7 Activity:*

The settlement activity of the population of Lerna IV and Lerna V (E7)

[The expression “a physical expression of one cultural group” in the
following citation of (Banks, 2013) justifies regarding this settlement
activity as one instance of E7 Activity, with a distinct identity and
unity. In contrast, the mentioned periods such as EH II, EH III , etc.
are of more general nature and hence examples of E4 Period only. The
citation is:

     "While Caskey notes a major cultural break between the EH II and EH
III remains at Lerna, he argues for a high level of continuity in the
following periods, until the site was transformed into a cemetery during
LH I. The domestic architecture dating from EH III to LH I (Lerna IV-V,
roughly from 2200-1500 B.C.) is therefore considered together as a
physical expression of one cultural group, naturally acknowledging and
critically examining significant changes over the course of this period.
Caskey's reports are supplemented by the works of Jeremy Rutter and
Carol Zerner, which are particularly important for the EH III and early
MH remains respectively.] (Banks, 2013)

*This is the same example for E4 Period:*

The settlement activity of the population of Lerna IV and Lerna V (E7)

[Whereas periods such as EH II, EH III mentioned in the following
citation of (Banks, 2013), etc. are typical examples of archaeological
periods (E4 Period), the expression “a physical expression of one
cultural group”  justifies regarding this particular settlement activity
more specifically as one instance of E7 Activity, with a distinct
identity and unity. The citation is:

      "While Caskey notes a major cultural break between the EH II and
EH III remains at Lerna, he argues for a high level of continuity in the
following periods, until the site was transformed into a cemetery during
LH I. The domestic architecture dating from EH III to LH I (Lerna IV-V,
roughly from 2200-1500 B.C.) is therefore considered together as a
physical expression of one cultural group, naturally acknowledging and
critically examining significant changes over the course of this period.
Caskey's reports are supplemented by the works of Jeremy Rutter and
Carol Zerner, which are particularly important for the EH III and early
MH remains respectively.] (Banks, 2013)

(Elizabeth Courtney Banks, The Settlement and Architecture of Lerna IV.

Lerna: results of excavations conducted by the American School of
Classical Studies at Athens, 6. Princeton: American School of Classical
Studies at Athens, 2013)

  Email: martin at ics.forth.gr