[Crm-sig] Issue 504 Homework

Martin Doerr martin at ics.forth.gr
Wed Jun 9 12:27:37 EEST 2021

Dear All,

Here my introduction for issue 504, /Philosophical Underpinnings of the
CRM ,/for the next meeting:

"The new official edition of the CIDOC CRM, version 7.1.1, contains a
compact section with title "Reality, Knowledge Bases and CIDOC CRM".
This section outlines philosophical underpinnings of the CIDOC CRM, as
they emerged from addressing requirement from the community, both in
terms of understanding and in terms of creating a model adequate to the
scientific attitude of the user community. This paragraph does however
not refer to relevant philosophical literature and theories, and does
not go into further details of interest.

Therefore this issue should *lead to a small working group*, which will
first define the philosophical *question of interest*, then assess
*priorities*, collect *references *and finally select *relevant
positions* supporting the way the model addresses the scientific
attitude of the user community and the description of their subject
matters. It should further identify *counterpositions* that may be
popular in ontology engineering but are incompatible with the methods
applied for building and using the CRM.

Since the most general topic of the CRM can be seen as the attempt to
constrain and reconstruct possible pasts from evidence at our hands, and
to come to a scientific agreement of reasonable and well-justified
alternatives, the relationship to reality and what can be said about it,
is central.

Topics of fundamental importance are, among others: reality and
(numeric) identity of particulars; the concept of observer-independent
reality and its relation to modelling constructs; comparability of
reality with alternative modeling constructs (conceptualizations);
limitations of propositional logic to describe aspects of reality (such
as waves and clouds), and how facts in terms of propositional logic can
relate to alternative ways of description (such as functions).

Problematic is the popular "constructivist stance" many ontologists
refer to, because it ignores the "evidential constraints" Alison Wiley
describes, the idea that observer independent reality limits reasonable
conceptualization by empirical contradictions.

Therefore we assume that the current "scientific realism" is a better
base for the CRM, however it deals with categorical knowledge produced
by natural sciences and not really with the concept of historical
reality of past facts in cultural, social and natural history, including
geology, paleontology, biological evolution etc.

But there are also more practical issues, such as the meaning of
"scientific discourse", disciplinary practices, research bias by the
very model itself, and others.

  Email:martin at ics.forth.gr
  Web-site:http://www.ics.forth.gr/isl

  Email: martin at ics.forth.gr