[Crm-sig] Homework Issue_531.docx

Martin Doerr martin at ics.forth.gr
Mon Jun 7 22:32:31 EEST 2021

Dear All,

Attached my attempt to redefine Observable Entity so that we can measure
distances between things!

If you do not open the attached, here the summary:

I reconsider Observation, Observable Entity and Situation in the light
of the question, how to define Position Measurement. This leads to
measuring distances as a “primitive”. Since this must be an observation,
the fundamental problem that appears is that observations may pertain to
constellations of multiple things.

Therefore:

The properties O9, O16 are problematic and too restrictive. Situation as
a proposition set holding at a particular time is more adequate, may be
a straight-forward generalization.

O9 observed property type (property type was observed by): S9 Property Type

O16 observed value (value was observed by): E1 CRM Entity

We should introduce:

Oxxx observed situation (was observed by): Sxxx Observable Situation

An “Observable Situation” would be a proposition set relating Observable
Entities, with a validity time-span that must be within the time-span of
the observation. To be elaborated. Examples: People talking to each
other, vehicles approaching each other, a vehicle moving in direction x
with speed y etc.

E13 can manage only one property at a time. Therefore, S4 Observation is
not a subclass of E13 Attribute Assignment.

  We may need to consider an S4 Observation consisting of multiple
Attribute Assignments. We can regard each propositions in the observed
Sxxx Observable Situation to be result of an E13 Attribute Assignment.
This can then gracefully collapse to a one-property observation.

This works, if restricting cardinality is a specialization ???

Then, an Observable Entity has a Dimension. In case of distances
however, two observable entities share one Dimension. If we can
formulate Dimension as a kind of Observable Situation (adding time and
restricting cardinality), we can manage the generalizations.

  Email: martin at ics.forth.gr