[Crm-sig] Issue 498, disjoint places

Martin Doerr martin at ics.forth.gr
Mon Jun 7 15:52:26 EEST 2021


On 6/7/2021 1:45 PM, Stephen Stead wrote:
>
> I am having a problem with the phrase “*contiguous, mutually 
> disjoint”*which, to me, seems to be a contradiction in terms.
>
> Is the intention to say that we can have a known set of disjointed 
> areas which are each, individually, contiguous?
>
Exactly 😁
>
> Rgds
>
> SdS
>
> Stephen Stead
>
> Tel +44 20 8668 3075
>
> Mob +44 7802 755 013
>
> E-mail steads at paveprime.com <mailto:steads at paveprime.com>
>
> LinkedIn Profile https://www.linkedin.com/in/steads/ 
> <https://www.linkedin.com/in/steads/>
>
> *From:*Crm-sig <crm-sig-bounces at ics.forth.gr> *On Behalf Of *Martin 
> Doerr via Crm-sig
> *Sent:* 06 June 2021 19:50
> *To:* crm-sig <Crm-sig at ics.forth.gr>
> *Subject:* [Crm-sig] Issue 498, disjoint places
>
> Dear All,
>
> Here my proposal for revision of the scope note of E53 Place:
>
>
>
> *OLD:*
>
> E53 Place
>
> Subclass of:
>
> E1 <#_toc7281> CRM Entity
>
> Scope note:
>
> This class comprises extents in space, in particular on the surface of 
> the earth, in the pure sense of physics: independent from temporal 
> phenomena and matter.
>
> The instances of E53 Place are usually determined by reference to the 
> position of “immobile” objects such as buildings, cities, mountains, 
> rivers, or dedicated geodetic marks, but may also be determined by 
> reference to mobile objects. A Place can be determined by combining a 
> frame of reference and a location with respect to this frame.
>
>  It is sometimes argued that instances of E53 Place are best 
> identified by global coordinates or absolute reference systems. 
> However, relative references are often more relevant in the context of 
> cultural documentation and tend to be more precise. In particular, we 
> are often interested in position in relation to large, mobile objects, 
> such as ships. For example, the Place at which Nelson died is known 
> with reference to a large mobile object – H.M.S Victory. A resolution 
> of this Place in terms of absolute coordinates would require knowledge 
> of the movements of the vessel and the precise time of death, either 
> of which may be revised, and the result would lack historical and 
> cultural relevance.
>
> Any instance of E18 Physical Thing can serve as a frame of reference 
> for an instance of E53 Place. This may be documented using the 
> property /P157 is at rest relative to (provides reference space for)/.
>
> *NEW:*
>
> E53 Place
>
> Subclass of:
>
> E1 <#_toc7281> CRM Entity
>
> Scope note:
>
> This class comprises extents in *the* natural space *we live in*, in 
> particular on the surface of the earth, in the pure sense of physics: 
> independent from temporal phenomena and matter. *They may serve 
> describing the physical location of things or phenomena or other areas 
> of interest. Geometrically, instances of E53 Place constitute single 
> contiguous areas or a finite aggregation of contiguous, mutually 
> disjoint areas in space. They may have fuzzy boundaries. *
>
> The instances of E53 Place are usually determined by reference to the 
> position of “immobile” objects such as buildings, cities, mountains, 
> rivers, or dedicated geodetic marks, but may also be determined by 
> reference to mobile objects. A Place can be determined by combining a 
> frame of reference and a location with respect to this frame.
>
>  It is sometimes argued that instances of E53 Place are best 
> identified by global coordinates or absolute reference systems. 
> However, relative references are often more relevant in the context of 
> cultural documentation and tend to be more precise. In particular, we 
> are often interested in *positions* in relation to large, mobile 
> objects, such as ships. For example, the Place at which Nelson died is 
> known with reference to a large mobile object – H.M.S Victory. A 
> resolution of this Place in terms of absolute coordinates would 
> require knowledge of the movements of the vessel and the precise time 
> of death, either of which may be revised, and the result would lack 
> historical and cultural relevance.
>
> Any instance of E18 Physical Thing can serve as a frame of reference 
> for an instance of E53 Place. This may be documented using the 
> property P157 is at rest relative to (provides reference space for).
>
> -- 
> ------------------------------------
>   Dr. Martin Doerr
>                
>   Honorary Head of the
>   Center for Cultural Informatics
>   
>   Information Systems Laboratory
>   Institute of Computer Science
>   Foundation for Research and Technology - Hellas (FORTH)
>                    
>   N.Plastira 100, Vassilika Vouton,
>   GR70013 Heraklion,Crete,Greece
>   
>   Vox:+30(2810)391625
>   Email:martin at ics.forth.gr  <mailto:martin at ics.forth.gr>   
>   Web-site:http://www.ics.forth.gr/isl  <http://www.ics.forth.gr/isl>
>
> <https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient> 
> 	Virus-free. www.avast.com 
> <https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient> 
>
>
> <#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>


-- 
------------------------------------
  Dr. Martin Doerr
               
  Honorary Head of the
  Center for Cultural Informatics
  
  Information Systems Laboratory
  Institute of Computer Science
  Foundation for Research and Technology - Hellas (FORTH)
                   
  N.Plastira 100, Vassilika Vouton,
  GR70013 Heraklion,Crete,Greece
  
  Vox:+30(2810)391625
  Email: martin at ics.forth.gr
  Web-site: http://www.ics.forth.gr/isl

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.ics.forth.gr/pipermail/crm-sig/attachments/20210607/c322cd26/attachment.html>


More information about the Crm-sig mailing list