[Crm-sig] CIDOC CRM and TELOS

Martin Doerr martin at ics.forth.gr
Fri Mar 13 22:32:15 EET 2020

Dear All,

The CIDOC CRM was originally formulated in the knowledge representation
language TELOS. In 1996, there was no standard available, and several
later attempts to define a standard knowledge representation language
have failed for many years.
At FORTH, we have chosen TELOS because it has a simplicity very useful
for didactic purposes, and we had a scalable platform, the SIS system,
to demonstrate applications with millions of facts (like "triples"), a
novelty at that time.

SIS is still used to check the consistency of new CRM versions wrt IsA
and instantiation semantics.

Because TELOS is hardly known anymore, and in order to be independent
from any encoding, we have chosen to reformulate the logical foundation
of the CRM in first order logic. But features of the logical form of the
CRM still carry a part of TELOS in it.

I have the pleasure to announce that the creators of TELOS and
applications of it have published a retrospective paper about TELOS, you
can share with this link leading to the Springer publication:

https://rdcu.be/b2TMH
<http://em.rdcu.be/ls/click?upn=1VX9wGiUV7k-2FG8imEHteF6knZErRnnvbObEsh7w4u-2B4-3DNdsF_niE2VxXOl2SAXhXcqLXQLD-2BZVCspRYsYiZyC6EmUUy8Fu43jZop5VMnj8-2Bz-2FH0oEqkyL9BVrdcghtKaVysFxIV5Yj-2B6UKQlpOvIYzbk0eUgkssrhCM6VvHa0TSJhFZ6qfAHojrvOHaFLoB3iLEeKTp9zOAVcMCOdeupaGxIxXqDMaLtSOxIEsCxyXLirUtdH56qersBBtY7pzS9fzUO1urusw2XfN3-2FHjE2j5QNby6tUpy0xgO3AUEw9Zvxchr8rv5utW6s1SLv7KFgTqDTkqZjsb6r-2BY5h4MMEHSUUXE6M-3D>

Kind regards

  Email: martin at ics.forth.gr