[Crm-sig] Describing Exhibitions ?

Martin Doerr martin at ics.forth.gr
Sat Mar 7 19:20:10 EET 2020

Dear Thomas,

Just to clarify: Any fixed set of objects kept together for a particular
purpose in this combination qualifies as a kind of Physical Object, and
is not regarded "Collection" only because it is a set of things. A
collection in the sense of E78 is given when things are potentially
added at any, unlimited time following some permanent plan of the kinds
of things to be collected and are being kept at a permanent place. I'd
rather avoid talking about "collection", because the exhibition fixes
the set, and then it is over.
Also, the exhibition set of objects forms a didactic unit, matches with
a catalogue. The objects will remain members of their collections of
origin.

CRM *thinking* is in events, more than things. Creating an "Exhibition
Making" activity is rather adequate, much more than seeking exhibition
semantics indirectly in the product, and then putting in its description
until all that has happened is concentrated in it. We have part addition
and part removal events, and plans of things to be exhibited. The
history of planning can be some times much more intriguing than the
actual set that could be brought together. But I do not want to
interfere with the discussion George mentions.

All the best,

Martin

  Email: martin at ics.forth.gr