[Crm-sig] The archivists are (stil) a different sect ?

Martin Doerr martin at ics.forth.gr
Mon Jan 27 22:23:17 EET 2020

Dear Robert, All,

To my understanding the basic difference of an archival institution, in
contrast to a more general notion of an archive as a collection of
papers etc, is the mandate to safeguard records of another institution
about their actions. This is expressed in keeping records completely and
without gaps in an order reflecting the sequence of actions. This is
also attempted when recovering such material from the past.

This creates a different focus of the relation of the structure of the
collection and that of its creation events, and of the inheritance of
metadata in the collection hierarchy and the action hierarchy.

Otherwise, I think CRM is very adequate, and the above should not be
difficult to be modeled.

  Email: martin at ics.forth.gr