[Crm-sig] The archivists are (stil) a different sect ?

Dan Matei Dan at cimec.ro
Mon Jan 27 22:17:28 EET 2020

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Sanderson <RSanderson at getty.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 16:44:10 +0000

> I actually think that traditional archiving practices /are/ a different “sect” … or less
> controversially: the non-digital archival practices of the North American tradition do not map
> cleanly into a more precise ontology such as CIDOC-CRM that is designed for expressing knowledge
> about specifics, rather than the broad generalities of “collection description”.

The North American tradition is not so original... The Romanian one is the same :-(
[But I see the Portuguese one is changing. Bravo !]

The RICO guys are pulling the archivists in the 21st century. Fine ! But why invent a new "warm
wheel" ? It is not more rational to join the CRM Club ? How come that the librarians (for
instance) managed to overcome the "not invented here" complex ?

Dan

Dan Matei, bibliograf
Institutul Național al Patrimoniului, Secția Biblioteci Digitale
Piața Presei Libere nr. 1, 013701 București
tel. 0725 253 222, 021 317 90 72, fax: 021 317 90 64
dan.matei at patrimoniu.gov.ro; dan at cimec.ro