[Crm-sig] and now something completely different - a modelling question

Martin Doerr martin at ics.forth.gr
Mon Jan 20 18:12:32 EET 2020

On 1/20/2020 3:04 PM, George Bruseker wrote:
> Dear Christian Emil,
>
> I agree with what Franco says but still we have no property that
> allows you to connect the two different meanings here entailed.
>
> I think this came up also with rights and the question of modelling
> jurisdiction. We don't have a property to connect periods to groups
> but what you present is the use case. I believe I have a homework to
> make the subclass of period which is a jurisdiction and which would
> have as its property 'under jurisdiction of' or equivalent which would
> connect the group to the special form of period.
>
> Interested in joining that homework?

I do.

I have concerns reducing period to space time volume. The jurisdiction
as a period for me has as parts all actions pertaining to that role (and
falling under it ?).

We need someone to look up theory of states. There is a notion of the
sovereign, which may be the people or an absolute king, and a notion of
the executive institution, acting on behalf of the sovereign.

I doubt that the Swiss Confederation regards itself as being identical
with the ruling political institution. I wonder if this violates the
idea of representational democracy.

This deserves a well-justified model, compatible with legal theory of
states.

I believe it should be in CRMsoc.

Further, we should have an understanding how this applies or is clearly
different to "city states" in the past with fuzzy territories.

Does it apply at all to a "Nomadic Empire" as the Golden Horde, or can
we draw a line here.

All the best,

  Email: martin at ics.forth.gr