[Crm-sig] ISSUE: Scope note of E37 Mark

Martin Doerr martin at ics.forth.gr
Sun Jan 19 15:58:40 EET 2020

Dear Daria,

Yes, there is a point about that.

Han characters are used in China, Japan, Korea. Very complex relations
between meaning and phonetics. They do not form propositions.  Very
different Chinese "dialects" agree on the same written form. The
non-smoking sign is a proposition.

Do they belong to a language, or makes using them for a message
following a language a linguistic object?

Clearly, only these languages can be encoded with Han characters. Japan
and Korea using a hybrid system, adding phonetic characters.

But I'd suggest to make clear the distinction of a Propositional Object,
its constituents, and language.

  Email: martin at ics.forth.gr