[Crm-sig] ISSUE: Scope note of E37 Mark

Robert Sanderson RSanderson at getty.edu
Fri Jan 17 22:25:06 EET 2020

I think that I agree 😊 To be clearer about the inheritance that we’re discussing:

  *   A)  All Marks are Symbolic Objects
  *   B) All Linguistic Objects are Symbolic Objects
  *   C) All Inscriptions are Linguistic Objects
  *   D) All Inscriptions are Marks
  *   E) No Marks which are not also Inscriptions are Linguistic Objects

I believe the question is whether the last two assertions above are accurate.

For D, I would argue that the Balliol sign is not a Mark, as the symbolic content is not related to the intents given in the scope note, and thus either the scope note should be changed to remove the intents and be clearer about the nature of the class, or Inscription should not be a subclass of Mark.

For E, I would argue that if “short text” is included in the scope for the Mark class, then there must be some Marks that are Linguistic Objects as short text implies that the symbols encode some natural language. I think that the scope note should be changed to remove “short text” to avoid this issue. Marks should be explicitly NOT text and only symbols, and if there is a linguistic interpretation of the content, then they should instead be Inscriptions.

Hope that clarifies!

Rob