[Crm-sig] CIDOC CRM URI management

Athanasios Velios thanasis at softicon.co.uk
Fri Jan 17 13:44:38 EET 2020

> My underlying assumption would be that the default thing served up would
> be html, but you could reach the other representation consistently
> through adding an appropriate ending or whatever would be most
> suitable... but that people looking at the html should have a shiny red
> button type clue that there is another way to retrieve the info which is
> for example as owl.

Yes, I agree.

>      > I will point out that on the CRM site, there is also an entire
>      > architecture wherein each version has its own overall presentation:
>      > e.g.: http://www.cidoc-crm.org/Version/version-6.2.1
>
>     I think this should be maintained but not used as URIs for classes.
>

> Why would you argue against using it as the resolving point for
> individual classes?

Because it includes versions. These are necessary when working across
different versions but I do not think versions are needed for classes.

> Currently this is not supported at all, correct? I mean you always point
> at a version. So you would suggest that 'current' should be 'versionless'?

I am suggesting that classes do not need versions at all. Doing
reasoning on a per class and per version basis would be bad practice,
no? One would expect that the whole RDF/OWL representation would be used
for reasoning. I think class URIs are only used as identifiers. This
also avoids the problem of ensuring correct older versions for
deprecated classes.