[Crm-sig] CIDOC CRM URI management

Detlev Balzer db at balilabs.de
Thu Jan 16 21:28:07 EET 2020

> Martin Doerr <martin at ics.forth.gr> hat am 16. Januar 2020 um 13:27 geschrieben:
>
> (...)
> At FORTH we will implement anything that is regarded good practice, and
> does not create a manual overhead we cannot manage.

For formal specifications such as ontologies, there is a widely adopted pattern for change management which goes like this:

http://www.cidoc-crm.org/cidoc-crm/ always resolves to the latest version, while

http://www.cidoc-crm.org/cidoc-crm/{version}/ always resolves to the particular {version} given in the URI.

There can be any number of versions, and the latest one is both referenced through the un-versioned namespace and through the one with the most recent version number (or publication date, if that is used for versioning).

Alternatively, the most recent version could be labelled explicitly as the current one, e.g. http://www.cidoc-crm.org/cidoc-crm/current/

Application developers must then decide what kind of stability they prefer: stability of the namespace URI, or stability of the content retrieved from a URI. Evidently, one cannot have both.

Maintenance effort for this pattern is minimal: Just publish each new version under its versioned namespace and then, any time another version comes out, adjust the non-versioned namespace so that it will resolve to the most recent version. Most modern Web frameworks have a URL routing facility which makes this fairly easy.

I should not forget to say that LOD best practice also demands that URIs support content negotiation, as assumed throughout all recommendations in the http://linkeddatabook.com/

Best,
Detlev