[Crm-sig] ISSUE P114-P120 VOTE

Martin Doerr martin at ics.forth.gr
Sun Jan 12 21:15:57 EET 2020

Dear All,

I am sorry, of course this needs explanations.

The Allen relations have turned out to be problematic in practice,
a) because OR combination are needed to relax the relations to those as
we typically find from historical or archaeological evidence and
conditions of incomplete knowledge,
b) therefore we could not declare temporal constraints implied by
semantic relations as superproperties.
c) they are based on exact temporal boundaries, that exist only in
contracts or administration acts.

Therefore we have already replaced them with a new set of primitives:

P173 - P176, P182 - P185.

They are compatible with evidence-based temporal constraints, and use a
sound logic to cover fuzzy boundaries.

They are extensively discussed and explained in section : "Temporal
Relation Primitives based on fuzzy boundaries"
in the last draft version 6.2.7 of the CRM.

At most two of these in AND combination (two superproperties) create any
Allen relation.

Therefore it makes no sense to have two sets of competing primitives in
the CRMBase, and we have already a lot of topological relations in CRMBase.

The deprecation statements ("use...") should contain the replacement
statements.

Typical applications of Allen relations are the "epistemic" partitioning
of periods in classical archaeology in 3 phases. Therefore we had
decided (missing in the minutes) that these should appear in CRMarcheo
as subproperties of the new primitives.

Please vote only, if you have read the text "Temporal Relation
Primitives based on fuzzy boundaries" and the definitions of the new
properties.

Kind regards,

Martin

  Email: martin at ics.forth.gr