[Crm-sig] Activity Partitioning (was Actors acting for other Actors)

Martin Doerr martin at ics.forth.gr
Fri Apr 17 20:13:40 EEST 2020

Dear Robert,

Very good remarks! but...
I may say that this discussion runs headlong against the wall of
providing enough information from the real world in order to feed
artificial intelligence - you seem yourself to be critical about it.

I can make a qualified statement about that, because I assigned a whole
Master thesis about reasoning from parts to wholes in activities, and
teams and instrumentation used in activities to a student.  In the
framework of the European Project 3D-COFORM, about digitization and
creation of 3D models, we could show that even when you intend to
monitor completely manually what is going on in a technical process, the
effort becomes unrealistically high. If you are interested, I can make
the whole thesis available.

Therefore we need inferences that provide reasonable likelihoods: " if
there is the activity of writing a book which was carried out by a
Person, I don’t think it is legitimate to conclude that the part of
writing a chapter was also carried out by that same person." Correct,
but it is most reasonable to assume in absence of other evidence.
Indeed, historical information almost exclusively of such kind of
reasoning, and a large part of empirical natural science as well.

Extending inferences in binary logic with inferences  of likelihood is
in my eyes the challenge of the future, and not attempting to model the
world until binary logic can deal with it completely. Likelihoods of
such inferences can, in enough cases, be approximated by actual
distributions. For instance, in a certain context, you may be able to
estimate how many writers let chapters write by other people. This is a
research agenda I share with other computer scientists.

Please also note, that E4 Period continues to be IsA STV.

Please also note, that the formalization of the CRM does NOT take
inverse properties to support different inferences from forward ones,
and always imply each other. Hence, using P9i does not make any
difference in CRM logic.

All the best,