[Crm-sig] Modelling the number of sheets used to print a book

Florian Kräutli fkraeutli at mpiwg-berlin.mpg.de
Fri Apr 17 16:16:23 EEST 2020

Dear Franco,

many thanks for your suggestion! We do currently use this construct to represent the format of the book (folio, quarto, etc.). Indeed it might be an option to use the same for sheets.

The reason I am hesitant to do so is because the number of sheets is more a property of the printing process than of the final book.

Say you can print 16 pages using one print sheet and you intend to print a booklet of 20 pages. You would then require two sheets to print the booklet, ending up with 12 empty pages that will not be included in the book (apologies if this is all factually incorrect, I'm not a book historian, just illustrating the thinking behind not modelling the number of sheets as a property of the book).

For this reason my thinking was that it would make more sense to add this information somewhere in the F3/E29 area. What do you think about using CLP43 should have dimension -> E54 Dimension on F3 Manifestation Product Type?

Best,

Florian