[Crm-sig] Modelling the number of sheets used to print a book

Florian Kräutli fkraeutli at mpiwg-berlin.mpg.de
Fri Apr 17 13:07:41 EEST 2020

Dear all,

I have a data modelling issue that I would like to discuss with you.

We have a database of books <http://db.sphaera.mpiwg-berlin.mpg.de/>. Currently we are in the process of identifying, for each book, the number of sheets used to print it. The number of sheets is a good indication for the investment required to print a book. We want to store this information in the database.

We do already capture the number of pages in the digitised copy as well as the physical format of the book (using P43 has dimension on an F5 Item). We capture data related to the printing of the book via a F3 Manifestation Product Type and a F32 Carrier Production Event.

My intuition is that the number of sheets could be modelled as an E29 Design or Procedure that P129 is about the F3 Manifestation Product Type.

But how to add the information "number of sheets" to the E29 Design?

Two thoughts:
- Simply as P3 has note: "20 sheets" (I would like it to be more machine readable)
- as a P68 foresees use of E57 Material that P2 has type "sheet" (but where to add the quantity of sheets?)

What do you think?

Best wishes,

Florian