[Crm-sig] Modelling an Actor carrying out an action at the Behest of Another

George Bruseker george.bruseker at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 11:36:55 EEST 2020

Dear Jim,

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter. So, do I read your modelling
correctly that you make of a role class that is a subtype of E74 group, or
do I not read that right? If so it reminds me of the solution come up with
by a group that made what they called CRMbio (I can't find the reference
right now, but it's out there!). To handle roles, they simply argued that
activities were not undertaken by people or groups but by roles (I think I
represent their thinking more or less correctly like that.... if they are
on the list and I'm wrong, please correct me). What I didn't find
convincing about this is that CRM attempts to create a tool that is
correlative to real world entities and how we speak about them actually
behaving. To say that activities are carried out by roles kind of works
theoretically and has some technical advantages, but is it how we actually
view the world? Or do we think that people and groups do the acting and
roles are a (perhaps ultimately conditioning) function of their action?

All the best to you in your W. Coast abode.

Sincerely,

George