[Crm-sig] Question: How to model a 'file'

Martin Doerr martin at ics.forth.gr
Thu Apr 16 21:46:58 EEST 2020

Dear George,

You are right, this is an open and important question.

I have repeatedly pointed to that issue in CRM-SIG Meetings, but with
limited response so far.

One part of the discussion had been in CRMInf, about the equivalence of
a file with a Proposition Set.

The other part has been when introducing P190 has symbolic content. My
remark is not even in the minutes, that this must be discussed. May be I
forgot a homework to elaborate this more. Let me expand here a bit my
current understanding:

This: E41 Appellation p190 has symbolic content df:literal "file name
value goes here" feeds only the name of the file, which identifies the
file, into the Appellation. It could be just an rdf label, because the
content of the Appellation is hardly ambiguous. On the other side,
reserving another node for the Appellation allows for assigning a type
"filename" to it. But a filename is anyhow not a good identifier.

If the Digital Object is represented by a URI, e.g., a DOI, the
remaining question is, if it resolves or can unambiguously be related to
an external content or not.

If it does, then the identity of this Digital Object should be the
"primitive" one, its binary identity. I.e., a .pdf and .doc of the same
scientific publication would be different objects, even a .doc with
changes in embedded metadata would make it different.

If we mean however that the ontological identity is, for instance, that
of the equivalence class of possible encodings of one certain
publication following Springer rules or so, the URI pointing to a binary
is misleading, because many files can represent the same publication.
The different encodings will both /incorporate/ and /represent /the
respective publication, but both properties are not identifying the content.

Therefore, a variation (not subproperty) of P190 should  do it. We have
again the problem, that we need to form a common superclass with a
Primitive Value.

Perhaps, once we have done the great step and declared some Primitive
Values as IsA Appellations, the most elegant form would be to form a
superclass of E62 String and Digital Object, and raise the range of P190
to it. This would elegantly make clear that E62 String and Digital
Object differ only in the fact if they are in or out of the KB proper.

If we do that, the range of P190 will again point to a URI, which, in
this case, either must be the binary, or a lower representation than the
level of symbolic specificity given for the domain instance. In any
case, we should reach at a "tangible" binary, and a suitable type to
distinguish, if the URI is meant to correspond to a real binary (even if
no more extent!!), or to a higher level may be useful.

We should also answer the question, how this translates to analogue
content, because we may copy files manually and re-encode.

After that, we should think about Propositional Objects represented in
files...

Any thoughts?

  Email: martin at ics.forth.gr