[Crm-sig] E21 Person, E67 Birth

Martin Doerr martin at ics.forth.gr
Mon Sep 23 16:51:12 EEST 2019

Dear Franco, All,

I agree, we have typically no coming into existence, or it is quite
undefined. This is a nice case to discuss the border cases we encounter
with all concepts.

Typically, the biological process is that of birth or alike. The
stillborn baby may be buried without social identity given. We could
have a type of Birth, with all except the coming into existence. We
could agree that ontologically, there is some coming into existence, but
a birth event does not necessarily end in a new E21 Person.

The methodologically important question is which states of ignorance do
we encounter? Are the typical historical documents, in which the outcome
of a document birth may be unknown as it is in reality before it
happens? Or are the stillborn or miscarriage clearly distinct, because
we normally describe birth as secondary information about a Person?

I assume the typical document uncertainty is between abortion,
miscarriage, stillborn or dying at birth, but clearly separated if the
baby lives. As an independent event, it is alternative to Birth. That
would rather suggest a superclass of Birth, ending pregnancy.

  Email: martin at ics.forth.gr