[Crm-sig] E21 Person, E67 Birth

Christian-Emil Smith Ore c.e.s.ore at iln.uio.no
Mon Sep 23 12:45:14 EEST 2019

Dear Athina,
It is an interesting problem.  The scope note of E67 Birth was formulated in the fall of 2002 and seems to have been unaltered since then.

"This class comprises the births of human beings. E67 Birth is a biological event focussing on the context of people coming into life. (E63 Beginning of Existence comprises the coming into life of any living beings).
Twins, triplets etc. are brought into life by the same E67 Birth event. The introduction of the E67 Birth event as a documentation element allows the description of a range of family relationships in a simple model. Suitable extensions may describe more details and the complexity of motherhood with the intervention of modern medicine. In this model, the biological father is not seen as a necessary participant in the E67 Birth event."

In the discussion it was made clear that CRM (in October 2002) should not be a model for medical care/science and to compensate for that the sentence "Suitable extensions may describe more details and the complexity of motherhood with the intervention of modern medicine".

Since 2002 the scope of CRM has become somewhat wider. To deal the project you are working on, it seems to be necessary to make some extensions to CRM or may be model miscarriages/abortions/stillborn as event and use types to differentiate. In modern legislation social benefits/support may depend on details but this may be not relevant for your project.

Best,
Christian-Emil