[Crm-sig] E21 Person, E67 Birth

athinak athinak at ics.forth.gr
Mon Sep 23 11:20:16 EEST 2019

Dear all,

I am working on a project relating to historical information (sources)
on Seafaring lives and Maritime Labour in 19th-20th century - we map the
raw data to CIDOC CRM (or an extension of it). Historians collect data
from various records, such as Civil Registers, which are records
documenting persons born or dead - basically, they register the deaths.
So I have this case: they register as  persons the miscarriages or the
stillborn or the abortions, and they assign attributes such as the
number of registration,  personal information (name,surname,etc. )of the
parents, the place of residence (which is the parents address, of
course) and the sex of the aborted or still born (something they knew
afterwards). I suppose this is a difficult ethical and biological
subject- my question is how would you model the miscarriage or the still
born or the abortion? It is not exactly defined as E21 Person and if it
is a case of still born, it can be a kind of a E67 Birth Event, but if
it is a miscarriage, I believe it is not a birth event, it is a
different biological process, so what is it?

Any thoughts that would help?

thanks,

Athina Kritsotaki