[Crm-sig] HW of ISSUE 422 – Substance of Phase

Francesco Beretta francesco.beretta at cnrs.fr
Wed Oct 23 19:44:31 EEST 2019

Dear All,

Following the discussion of yesterday, here a proposal for the
definition of Phase. We all know that the methodological exclusive
choice in favour of events was driven by issues related to merging data
from different sources (cf. Issue 245). But insofar as many projects use
the CRM for _data production_, and that in many cases information about
the past is available just for 'phases' and not the events causing them,
and that —last but not least— different SIG members have expressed the
need for phases, here an attempt to provide it with some substance at a
level comparable with its first born brother: the event !

All the best

Francesco

*Exxx Phase*

Subclass of E4 Period

Scope note:

A phase is a /*phenomenon*///involving or concerning at least one
persistent item that consists in a characteristic or relationship of
itwith a limited extent in time resulting from one or more events and
being terminated by one or more events (the last possible event being
the end of existence of the involved persistent item or items). This
phenomenon, in contrast to an E5 event, is passive, i.e. it does not
actively and directly cause other phenomena. Because of its phenomenal
dimension, a phase can nonetheless influence the course of events. E.g.
the police officer arrived while my vehicle was parked in restricted
parking (phase) and I was fined (event).

The Exxx Phase class is thus disjoint with the E5 Event class while both
are subclasses of E4 Period insofar as periods, as coherents sets of
phenomena, consist of active and passive phenomena.

A phase is not just a situation because its substance is given
independently from the observation of an agent. Examples of phases are
e.g. paintings suspendend in an exhibition at a given place, beliefs or
states of mind of curators, obligations of buyers, etc. All these
classes do not belong to CRM base but they fit, as subclasses of Exxx
Phase, into a general ontological coherence which underlines the
phenomenal substance of each of them.

*Pxxx relates to* (is concerned by) Domain: Phase ; range: Persistent
item. Quantifiers: 1,n; 0,n.

This property describes the active or passive presence of a E77
Persistent Item in a Exxx Phase without implying any specific role. It
connects the history of a thing with the E53 Place and E50 Date of a
phase concerning it. For example, my car parked in restricted parking or
the propositional content of my belief that it is a good idea to leave
the car there.