[Crm-sig] PLEASE VOTE: Compatibility with CRM
RSanderson at getty.edu
Tue Oct 22 23:44:49 EEST 2019
Some issues that could be fixed, but don’t lead me to conclude that it should be a straight No … however if it is about conformance (which I believe it is) then it is a potentially legal issue as to claims of systems and we should be careful with what we say.
* Typo: “enconding” for “encoding” in the first paragraph.
* The title is about “compatibility” but the text is about “conformance”. These are very different things. I think the title should be Conformance with the CRM.
* The sentence starting “Conformance pertains” doesn’t make sense as currently structured. Skipping the first part of the or clause, it reads: “Conformance pertains either to […] or intended for transport to other environments.” I think it should be: Conformance pertains to data which is either made accessible … or intended to be transported to other environments.
* The conformance rule is ambiguous. I can claim conformance by supporting one class, as “conformance does not require complete …”. Given the introduction later of “partially conformant”, the first paragraph should define “fully conformant” as supporting all of the classes and properties defined in the document. The next paragraph talks about conformance again, with a very different rubric. I can be fully conformant in a system that manages only Identifiers, but the previous paragraph would require this to be partially conformant.
* The documentation system paragraph talks about compatibility and conformance. It should only talk about conformance, or we would need the definition of “compatible”
* The “without loss of meaning” is based on the subjective opinion of an indeterminate audience, yet is a core part of the determination of conformance. My Identifier system is thus fully conformant, yet implements only one class and no properties because I, as the audience, judge it to be so.
From: Crm-sig <crm-sig-bounces at ics.forth.gr> on behalf of Bekiari Xrysoula <bekiari at ics.forth.gr>
Date: Tuesday, October 22, 2019 at 1:28 PM
To: "crm-sig at ics.forth.gr" <crm-sig at ics.forth.gr>
Subject: [Crm-sig] PLEASE VOTE: Compatibility with CRM
Following the decisions of the current working group meeting, we invite
you to vote if you accept the text about the compatiblity with CRM in
the version 6.2.6. This text is the same with the one found in the iso
The text is the following:
Compatibility with the CRM
Users intending to take advantage of the semantic interoberability
offered by this International Standard should ensure conformance with
the relevant data structures. Conformance pertains either to data to be
made accessible in an integrated environment or intended for transport
to other environments. Any enconding of data in a formal language that
preserves the relations of the classes, properties, and inheritance
rules defined by this definition of the CIDOC CRM(definition document),
is regarded as conformant.
Conformance with this definition document does not require complete
matching of all local documentation structures, nor that all concepts
and structures present in this definition document be implemented. This
definition document is intented to allow room both for extensions,
needed to capture the full richness of cultural documentation, and for
simplification, in the interests of economy. A system will be deemed
partially conformant if it supports a subset of subclasses and
subproperties defined by this definition document. Designers of the
system should publish details of the constructs that are supported.
The focus of this definition document is the exchange and mediation of
structured information. It does not require the interpretation of
unstructured (free text) information into a structured, logical form.
Unstructured information is supported, but falls outside the scope of
Any documentation system will be deemed conformant with this definition
document, regardless of the internal data structures it uses; if a
deterministic logical algorithm can be constructed, that transforms data
contained in the system into a directly compatible form without loss of
No assumptions are made as to the nature of this algorithm. "Without
loss of meaning" signifies that designers and users of the system are
satisfied that the data representation corresponds to the semantic
definitions provided by this definition .
PLEASE VOTE :
YES for accepting,
NO for not accepting,
by Oct. 25 2019.
all the best
Research and Development Engineer
Center for Cultural Informatics / Information Systems Laboratory
Institute of Computer Science
Foundation for Research and Technology - Hellas (FORTH)
N. Plastira 100, Vassilika Vouton, GR-700 13 Heraklion, Crete, Greece
Phone: +30 2810 391631, Fax: +30 2810 391638, Skype: xrysmp
E-mail: bekiari at ics.forth.gr<mailto:bekiari at ics.forth.gr>
Crm-sig mailing list
Crm-sig at ics.forth.gr<mailto:Crm-sig at ics.forth.gr>
CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the Getty. Do not click links or open attachments unless you verify the sender and know the content is safe.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Crm-sig