[Crm-sig] part of HW for Issue 412

Athanasios Velios thanasis at softicon.co.uk
Fri Oct 18 15:01:03 EEST 2019

Hello,

Most of this is for Francesco and Vincent, but I had a small part of the
homework which was to add a sentence to the introductory text to clarify
that CRMsoc is under development. So here is the text again with the
added sentence in the end:

What is CRMsoc?
CRMsoc is a formal ontology for integrating data about social phenomena
and constructs that are of interest in the humanities and social science
based on analysis of documentary evidence. The scope of CRMsoc is the
following areas of analysis:
     • Characteristics of human beings, as individuals or groups
     • Social relations, including between people, between people and
groups, and between groups
     • Rights and duties
     • Economic activities, including relations between people and
things, such as financial transactions leading to ownership
     • Plans, including expressing proposed activities and legislation
     • Evaluations, including assessing risks and estimating the value
of things
CRMsoc uses and extends the CIDOC CRM (ISO21127): a general ontology of
human activity, things and events happening in space-time. It uses the
same encoding-neutral formalism of knowledge representation (“data
model” in the sense of computer science) as the CIDOC CRM, which can be
implemented in RDFS, OWL, in an RDBMS and in other forms of encoding.