[Crm-sig] NEW ISSUE: Approximate Dimensions

Robert Sanderson RSanderson at getty.edu
Wed Oct 16 18:54:45 EEST 2019

Thanks Martin!  A couple of clarifying questions, please …

> The point is, that true numerical values of Dimensions do not exist for continuous value spaces.

Could you explain how you see this being different for E53 Place? The true Place also doesn’t exist as space is also continuous. Doubly so as the definition of place says it is independent of matter. No matter how precise I am about a lat/long/altitude, I still could be more precise. Or more precise about a location relative to an object as a frame of reference; notably as this frame of reference would need to be measured … which would mean that Place would rely on the Dimensions. So it seems like we can reduce the Place approximation to a Dimension approximation, at least in the case of relative coordinate spaces.

> For any approximation with known inclusion or overlap properties to the real place, P189 should NOT be used. A "real place" can be confirmed by multiple observations for things that do not move or have not moved.

And also for this … how would we have multiple observations of the Place, such that it was clear that they were all approximations of a single phenomenal place, without using P189?  For example, I have a bounding box for my city of birth, and a centroid pin for it … I wasn’t born in two places, yet without using P189, I would need to have two P7s … no? What am I missing? 😊

Many thanks,

Rob