[Crm-sig] NEW ISSUE: Approximate Dimensions

Martin Doerr martin at ics.forth.gr
Wed Oct 16 18:11:46 EEST 2019

Dear Robert, All,

Your proposal well taken, but the recent change in the scope note was
exactly that "The properties of the class E54 Dimension allow for
expressing the numerical approximation of the values of instances of E54
Dimension. ".

The point is, that true numerical values of Dimensions do not exist for
continuous value spaces. Therefore, any measurement and opinion about
the values are approximations.So, there is no need for another property.
Measurements have typically known tolerances, which may be statistical,
as mean deviations, or absolute.

The property P189 was introduced because of the huge number of
geo-referenced resource with no indication how distant or different the
approximating area is from the real place. For any approximation with
known inclusion or overlap properties to the real place, P189 should NOT
be used. A "real place" can be confirmed by multiple observations for
things that do not move or have not moved.

This scenario does not exist in the same way for dimensions *in general.*
*
*
I recommend to adjust scope notes and guidelines adequately. If a
dimension is given as 10cm, it is per definitionem an approximation,
because no natural thing has dimension
10,00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
cm.

A fine example of measurement tolerances is the recent problem of
determining the proton radius:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton_radius_puzzle
See also:
http://pdg.lbl.gov/2012/reviews/rpp2012-rev-history-plots.pdf
https://www.quantamagazine.org/proton-radius-puzzle-deepens-with-new-measurement-20160811/

I think it is a question of guide lines how to interpret the absence of
P10a,b.

Opinions?

  Email: martin at ics.forth.gr