[Crm-sig] P72 has Language

Martin Doerr martin at ics.forth.gr
Mon Oct 14 19:56:49 EEST 2019

Dear George, All,

As a second thought:

I think documentation formats such as LIDO are an adequate place to add
such useful properties to characterize items in a more detailed way, we
would not put in the CRM analytically. Shapes, colors etc. being typical
examples.

Question: Are there formats from the archival world that use to describe
the languages people speak? EAD CFP?
Libraries are interested in the languages someone publishes in, not
speaking.

What are the anthropologists registering? Would they be interested in
languages learned at school, or rather in the language used for
communication in a typical group? Would they document people being
incapable of communicating in that group?
Or just infer language via group?

How to distinguish native speakers from non-native?

Would historians make cases of people that could not communicate in a
given language, with societal effects?

What about illiterate people? Speaking, not writing...? Maintaining oral
history with great precision, etc.

What about creoles ?

  Email: martin at ics.forth.gr