[Crm-sig] P72 has Language

Martin Doerr martin at ics.forth.gr
Mon Oct 14 19:33:50 EEST 2019

Dear George,

The first principle of all is are there relevant queries that need that
property for integrating disparate sources, which indeed provide such
data, and is that research one we like to support with the CRM?

Second, using p2 on E21 does the job, doesn't it? What is the added
value of "knows language"?

Next principle, keep the ontology small. Querying 1000 properties is
already more than anybody can keep in mind. Each additional property has
an implementation cost. We need strong arguments for relevance.

It has been the mos t important success factor of the CRM to keep the
ontology small and still expressive enough. If we loose this discipline,
we will loose the whole project.

Finally, we are not repeating in the CRM the way typically information
systems document, but always tried to find a more fundamental
representation. With that argument, we could never have introduced
events. They did NOT appear in any of the typical systems at that
time.**It is a principle *not *to model all the valuable description
elements, which are relevant to characterize an item, but not creating
interesting links across resources.

I did not say that it is a personal opinion that someone speaks a
language. I said, this is observable. I document: Franco has spoken
Latin, repeatedly? But talking about skills, is another level, it
introduces a quality, which is hard to objectify, as Franco has pointed
out. Actually, it is a typical classification problem, with all its
boundary case questions, and the CRM is about relations between particulars.

So, what is the*added value* against p2, and what are the typical
research data and typical research questions for *integrating* such
data, that cannot be answered with P2?

Best,

martin

  Email: martin at ics.forth.gr