[Crm-sig] Issue 406: Question about quantification + transitivity + open world

Christian-Emil Smith Ore c.e.s.ore at iln.uio.no
Sun Oct 13 21:20:10 EEST 2019

​This is indeed an important discussion.

My point is the formalist view.  If we have a set with a linear, transitive ordering like < for the integers, then this will be many to many under  the transitive closure. Assume a partial ordering without cycles: When we add transitivity the tree structure will still be there. If we store all pair resulting from the  transitive closure the tree structure is not explicit and has to be deduced form the set of pair. Take the whole part relationship: To make the tree structure explicit, we need a 1 to many cardinality. The fact a R b & b R c -> a R C has to be deduced.  If we instead are interested in the transitive closure to speed up deduction in an implementation the cardinality will be many to many.

Chr-E