[Crm-sig] Issue 406: Question about quantification + transitivity + open world

Maximilian Schich maximilian at schich.info
Sun Oct 13 18:33:47 EEST 2019

One take-home from large-scale data-integration & data science is that
even the strongest assumed 1-to-many relationship in reality is
quasi-1-to-many due to differences in opinion (your tree vs. my tree),
differences in construction of strong-tree classification systems (e.g.
material/construction-method vs. construction-method/material in
architecture), and differences in data preservation (cf. the integration
of several strong-tree phylogenies based on different knowledge of the
fossil record). As a consequence it would make good sense to model
part-of relationships by default to allow for many-to-many at least as
an exception, even if the ideal is 1-to-many for one reason or another.

Regarding this issue of "part-of as many-to-many", there is a crucial
difference between more controlled data collections for "data reasoning"
and a more realistic "data archaeology" that acknowledges the existing
multiplicity of opinion. In the case of "data reasoning" many-to-many
may be a computational hurdle. Yet in the case of "data archaeology"
forced 1-to-many relationships are evil, as they induce an artificial
discreteness in the data, very similar to the artificial yet often
conceptually enforced discreteness of races, gender, etc. In this sense
an artificial restriction of part-of semantics to 1-to-many
relationships may be a potential source of severe systematic bias that
needs to be avoided under all cost.

Consequently, there should be an emphasis on "general parts can be
shared by more than one whole", particularly when facing heterogeneous
sources of data. At the same time the audience should be provided with
an explicit explanation why "non-cyclic, wherever it applies" could be a
desire, while always accompanied by a caveat that "wherever it applies"
may be true in considerable less cases than intuition would suggest.

Best, Max

*Dr. Maximilian Schich*
Associate Professor, The University of Texas at Dallas, ATEC
<http://www.utdallas.edu/atec/> & EODIAH
<https://www.utdallas.edu/arthistory/>
800 W Campbell Rd AT10, Richardson TX 75080
Appointments via email
<mailto:maximilian.schich at utdallas.edu?subject=[Appointment]>
www.schich.info <http://www.schich.info/>